Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

let's talk about...weight loss

SHOCKER! A mom blogger writing about weight loss!

Let's be real, all women think about their weight. Though it's hard for me, someone who has never been "skinny", to imagine some women are concerned with gaining weight and adding a little meat to their bones. Then there's the rest of us. Always thinking about how we can lose a few (or not so few) pounds.

I can remember being in 8th grade and only eating a fig newton for lunch EVERYDAY because it said 'Fat Free' on the package. Needless to say, that lead to a streak of unhealthy choices, unhealthy weight loss, months of missed periods and a threat from my mom that if I didn't start eating right she would take me to the doctor. I think that was my first experience with "dieting" and it's been ongoing ever since. Losing weight was the fix all for everything, or so I thought. "If I lose weight I'll be more popular in school" "If I lose weight I'll find a boyfriend" "If I lose weight he'll propose" Well guess what. That was all wrong. No, I wasn't 'Miss Popular' in high school, but I had an awesome group of friends who loved me no matter how much I weighed. I found the man of my dreams and he proposed.

Only now, at the ripe wise (ha!) age of 27 can I look back and see how stupid those thoughts were. However, I'm still guilty for thinking things like that now and then. My ultimate goal as far as my weigh is concerned is to JUST BE HAPPY WITH MYSELF! Why shouldn't I love myself? I have an amazing husband, amazing friends, and amazing family. And the best thing my body has ever done? It carried, nourished, and delivered a sweet little baby girl who is the center of our world. Yeah, I have few stretch marks on my stomach that will probably never vanish, but what caused those stretch marks makes them much more tolerable.

So, am I dieting now? No. I'm changing my thoughts on food and trying to make wiser decisions. I refuse to use the word DIET. Do I screw up? Heck yes. I had Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo from Olive Garden a couple nights ago. And it was awesome. But that's life! We make bad decisions sometimes...then we move on. Simple as that.

Along with gaining acceptance of myself, I also am shooting to get to a healthy BMI. I want to be a positive role model for Elaina in every way possible...and that includes body image. I hope she never thinks her worth is dependent on numbers she sees on a scale.  And if I don't want her to think that, then I have to start believing it myself. 

BRING ON THE HEALTHY LIFESTYLE! I'm ready for it! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment